CIOTS is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement. CIOTS may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
This policy was last updated 29 August 2018.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INDIVIDUAL PRIVACY
CIOTS is committed to protecting the privacy and accuracy of your information. We do not share your personal information and we collect the least amount of personally identifiable information required to provide you with requested products or services. CIOTS does not request and we ask that you not send us any sensitive information (e.g., government-issued identification numbers, racial or ethnic information, political opinions, religious affiliations, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background). If you choose not to provide requested personal information, you can still visit most CIOTS’ web pages, but you might be unable to access certain products or services that require our interaction with you.
WHAT WE COLLECTWe collect a variety of information that you provide directly to us. In general, we collect information from you through:
- Using any of our services, including registering for a user account through our website(s)
- Making a purchase from us, including registering for a course
- Signing up for e-mail updates
- Uploading or posting to public forums associated with CIOTS
- Submitting requests or questions to us via forms or e-mail
- Requesting customer support and technical assistance
- Name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address
- Log-in credentials, if you register as a user account through our website(s)
- Information about purchases or other transactions with us, such as your shipping address. Please note, however, that we do not collect, store, or transmit financial account information. Instead, we use a third-party payment processor, Stripe, to process our payments and QuickBooks to reconcile payments.
- Information about your customer service or maintenance interactions with us
- Information, such as your age, job, professional affiliation, and other personal information
- Information you provide to us in connection with any course registration process, including, for example, educational and work experience, prerequisite knowledge, any pre-assessment you complete, your goals, and other information
- User-generated content you upload or post to public forums through our services
- Information from third parties about you in connection with any affiliate programs we may offer
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of our services
Please note, we will never ask for your social security number or other government-issued identification number.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT THROUGH AUTOMATED MEANSCookies
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.Analytics Information
We also may use these technologies to help us determine and identify repeat visitors, the type of content and sites to which a user of our website(s) links, the length of time each user spends at any particular area of our website(s), and the specific functionalities that users choose to use.
We use third-party web analytics services (such as those of Google Analytics) on our website(s) to collect and analyze usage information through cookies and similar tools; engage in auditing, researching, or reporting; assist with fraud prevention; and provide certain features to you. We also provide a limited amount of your information (such as your e-mail address and order history) to our marketing agency partners so that they can analyze website usage and send marketing communication on our behalf, which allows us to improve our products (e.g., courses or books) and services.
We may also use third-party eCommerce platforms (like WooCommerce) as a medium to deliver a digital shopping experience; customer relationship management software (like Infusionsoft), as a medium for communications, either through e-mail, or through messages about our products and service(s); credit card processors/gateways (like Stripe); software usage providers (like Google Analytics); financial services (like independent accountants, tax preparers, bookkeepers, and QuickBooks); independent contractors (like team members in marketing, management, software development), and CRM Add-Ons (like BitBucket).
We may allow third party companies, including advertising companies (such as Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), to place cookies on our website. These cookies enable such companies to track your activity across various sites where they display ads and record your activities so they can show ads that they consider relevant to you as you browse the Internet. These cookies store information about the content you are browsing together with an identifier linked to your device or IP address.These cookies also allow us and third parties to know whether you’ve seen an ad or a type of ad, and how long it has been since you’ve last seen it. This information is used for frequency capping purposes, to help tailor the ads you see, and to measure the effectiveness of ads. For more information about online advertising and how you can control or disable these cookies, please see:
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies)
- Cookie settings in Firefox (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies)
- Cookie settings in Chrome (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647)
- Cookie settings in Safari Mac (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411) and iOS (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265)
- Your Online Choices (http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/)
- Network Advertising Initiative (http://www.networkadvertising.org/)
- Digital Advertising Alliance (http://www.aboutads.info/consumers)
Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to web browser signals or other mechanisms for the expression of choice regarding collection of information about an individual over time and across third-party web sites or online services (e.g., Web browser “do not track” signals).
WHAT WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE GATHERWe require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:/p>
- Send you information in connection with the products or services purchased
- Respond to your communications and requests
- Manage and process in-person and online courses, including but not limited to tracking attendance, progress and completion; administering exams, projects, and other assessments; and monitoring performance during an assessment to confirm that you are abiding by the applicable rules or requirements
- Provide services to you, such as data analysis services that you request in conjunction with the in-person and online courses
- Contact you by e-mail, postal mail, or phone (including via SMS messages) regarding CIOTS products, services, surveys, research studies, promotions, special events and other subjects that we think may be of interest to you
- Customize the content we provide through our products and services
- Help us better understand your interests and needs, and improve our products and services
- Engage in analysis, research, and reports regarding use of our products and services
- Secure our products and services
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others
- Internal record keeping
AGGREGATE / ANONYMOUS DATA
We may aggregate and/or anonymize any information collected through the website(s) so that such information can no longer be linked to you or your device (“Aggregate/Anonymous Information”). We may use Aggregate/Anonymous Information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, statistical analyses of website(s) usage, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, and sponsors.
PARTICIPATION IN IN-PERSON AND ONLINE COURSES
HOW WE SHARE AND DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATIONCIOTS will share your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We provide access to or share your information with operations and maintenance contractors, like Talent LMS, and other third parties who perform services on our behalf. They have access to perform these services but are prohibited from using your information for other purposes. They provide a variety of services to us, including billing, sales, marketing, product content and features, advertising, analytics, research, customer service, data storage, security, fraud prevention, payment processing, and legal services.
- Educational Institutions and Scholarship Partners. If you are taking a course sponsored or associated with a particular Educational Partner (e.g., such as a university or scholarship/sponsored partner), we may share information about you and your performance with the university or scholarship partner, including to report on your progress in rater calibration. Information shared with our educational partners will be subject to the privacy policies and procedures of such partners.
- Business Partners. With your consent, CIOTS may share information that can be used to directly connect you with third party business partners, such as companies that may be offering products or services or other opportunities that may be of interest to you.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may buy, merge, or partner with other companies. In such transactions, (including in contemplation of such transactions) user information may be among the transferred assets. If a portion or all of CIOTS’s assets are sold or transferred to a third-party, customer information (including your e-mail address) would likely be one of the transferred business assets. If such transfer is subject to additional mandatory restrictions under applicable laws, CIOTS will comply with such restrictions.
- Aggregate/Anonymous Information. From time to time, CIOTS may share Aggregate/Anonymous Information about use of our services, such as, but not limited to, publishing a report on usage trends or survey results, as well completion rates, success rates, and other demographic information provided to us by our clients. The sharing of such data is unrestricted.
DATA SUBJECT RIGHTS AND YOUR CHOICES
You may have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.Your Legal Rights If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us using the information in the “CIOTS Contact Information” section below at any time. Your local laws, such as in the European Union, may permit you to request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you
- Prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling)
- Update information which is out of date or incorrect
- Delete certain information which we are holding about you
- Restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information
- Transfer your information to a third-party provider of services
- Revoke your consent for the processing of your information
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation.To the extent that you make such a request, we require certain information to help verify your request and prevent fraudulent information and removal requests. Specifically, we ask that you provide the following pieces of information:
- Username and e-mail address associated with your user account(s)
- Courses currently or previously enrolled in
- Approximate date of user account registration
- Information you want to view and/or request removed
- Country of residence
- A statement under penalty of perjury that all information in your request is truthful and that this is your user account or that you have the authorization to make the request on behalf of the owner of the user account
Depending on the circumstances and the information you request, we may require additional methods of verification in our discretion.
CIOTS does not require that users disclose user names or passwords for a user’s personal social media account, nor does CIOTS require users to access personal social media in our presence or divulge any personal social media information to us.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND FEATURES
JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
Your personally identifiable information may be stored and processed in any country, including the United States, where we have facilities in which we engage third-party service providers, and by requesting CIOTS products or services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personally identifiable information.
CIOTS is intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 18. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 without legally-valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
CIOTS stores information about visitors to our website and users on servers located in the United States. By using our services, you consent to the storage of your information inside the United States. If you are using our products and services from outside the United States and the European Union, please know the information you submit will be transferred to and stored in servers in the United States or other countries. The data protection and other laws of the United States and/or other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By submitting your data and/or using our services, you acknowledge the transfer, storing, and processing of your information in and to the United States.
As described above, CIOTS also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, service providers and others in countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, in accordance with applicable law. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use.
If we provide any information about you to any such non-European Union entities, we will take appropriate measures to ensure such companies protect your information adequately in accordance with applicable law.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We consider the confidentiality and security of your information to be of the utmost importance. CIOTS takes a variety of technical, administrative, and physical measures to protect your information from disclosure to or access by third parties. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Please note that we do not guarantee the security of information, as no method of internet transmission or storage is completely secure. Also note that we may retain and store your information in our databases and systems even after your CIOTS account is deactivated as long as we have a legitimate purpose to do so and in accordance with applicable law.
We intend to take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect the information that you share with us and/or third-party service providers from unauthorized access or disclosure. We will contact you within 72 hours after first becoming aware of any data breach that is likely to result in a risk to your rights or freedoms. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone +1 970.416.8612.
CONTROLLING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONYou may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting. You will have the choice to opt out from receiving this promotional information.
CHANGING, UPDATING, OR DELETING PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to us at the address below or notify us by e-mail at email@example.com as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
If you would like to request to review, correct, update, suppress, restrict, or delete personally identifiable information that you have previously provided to us, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your personally identifiable information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (+1 970.416.8612; reverse charges accepted). We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what personally identifiable information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personally identifiable information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your personally identifiable information. For your protection, we will only implement requests with respect to the personally identifiable information associated with the particular e-mail address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
Residents of the United Kingdom may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to 4223 S. Mason St., Suite A, Fort Collins, CO 80525, USA.
- Client Right to Privacy and Management of Personal Information
- Client Right to Privacy and Rater Calibration
CIOTS CONTACT INFORMATION